The Selection Tool has different modes that allow you to make complex selections. Selected parts and submodels are outlined by a light blue bounding box.
How the Selection tool works
Click on the Select icon or hit V on the keyboard for simple selection.
Shift+V will cycle through the different selection modes or click on the small arrow to the right of the Select icon to see the different selection modes.
Default selection: select a part you click on
By Color: select all parts in the same color as the one you click on
By Connected: select all parts that are connected to the one you click on
By Type: select all parts of the same type as the one you click on (same BrickLink ID; parts with the same mold but with different decoration are different)
By Type and Color: select all parts of the same type and in the same color as the part you clicked on
- Window selection: using your cursor, draw a rectangle around the parts you want to select.
- The Invert Selection feature is at the bottom of the selection menu. Its default shortcut is Ctrl Shift V.
- Holding Ctrl while selecting adds to the current selection instead of replacing it.
- Holding Ctrl and clicking on a part already selected will remove that part from the selection. The mode is irrelevant, only one part is removed.
- You can combine advanced selections with Ctrl: first select with one mode, then change the mode and hold Ctrl to add other parts to the selection. You can only add selections this way but won’t be able to remove or subtract anything that’s already been selected.
- Selecting parts in the Step list also selects them in the build.