The Connect tool allows builders to make precise or difficult connections. It lets you directly move and connect parts by choosing connectors. It can be very useful when there’s many possible connection points and you have difficulties presenting the parts to connect the way you want.
Accessing the connect tool
Click on the Connect icon in the toolbar. When activated, the icon is blue and the Connect icon is next to the mouse pointer.
Using the connect tool
If no parts are selected before starting the Connect tool:
- Select a part in your model and move the mouse pointer over the selected part.
- All the connectors of the part will be shown as small blue cubes or small blue cylinders.
- Click on one of the connectors to select it.
- Move the mouse pointer. A line leads from the chosen connector to the mouse pointer.
- Hover over another part.
- The part's compatible connection points will be displayed as small blue cubes or small blue cylinders. The compatible connectors of the selection are also shown but can't be chosen.
- Click on a connection point where you want to attach the first part.
- The part is moved so that the two chosen connectors connect.
It's possible to connect multiple studs at once. You can select one additional connection point by holding down the Cmd key on Mac or the Ctrl key on Windows. This feature will only work if the selected points are connectable.
Tips and tricks
- The Connect tool does not care about collisions.
- The selection will be turned to connect but minimally and only when necessary. For instance:
- If you chose a horizontal clip and want to connect it to a tilted bar, the whole selection will be turned to align the clip to the bar.
- If the bar is tilted more than 45° relative to the clip, it won’t be selectable at all.
- Normally, when you connect two bricks, their sides are automatically aligned. That’s not the case with the Connect tool.