Some parts, like hoses and strings, can be bent in Studio. They are the only parts that can be modified in Studio, along with the posable parts.
Finding flexible parts
All the parts that are flexible in real life are not yet flexible in Studio yet. Most chains, hoses, and strings with studs are flexible in Studio. Parts that are flexible are marked with a special icon in the Building palette:
In the BL Categories, they are spread among different categories, like chains, hoses or strings.
In the Shapes categorization, they are all grouped in the Flexible supercategory.
In a build, you can recognize a flexible part by the presence of the tool to bend them below the hand-shaped icon.
Bending a part
First, place the unflexed part in the build.
Then, to flex the part:
- Select the part, and the hand-shaped icon and the flex icon appear.
- Click on Flex icon Ω.
- The flex icon appears next to the mouse pointer.
- The bones of the part appear, in blue.
- You can grab one end of the part to move it and place it where you want, the other end will stay. in place and the body of the part will flex to follow the movement.
- You can turn the end around with the arrow keys, like when moving a simple part.
- Once you’ve placed the end, the body takes a little time to settle down.
- The mouse works as when you move other parts: click and hold the button to grab the end, then move the mouse, then you can release the button and the end will follow the mouse pointer until you click again to place it.
You can grab the body of the part to pull it to another position. The ends won’t move.
- The body can take time to follow your movements. And when you stop moving, it continues to follow the mouse pointer.
- As with the ends, you can release the mouse button, the body will stop following the mouse pointer only when you click again.
- When you release the body (click to “place” it), it can go back a bit if you stretched it too much. It’ll sell down in a comfortable position.
6. When you’ve finished, click somewhere outside the part to quit the Flex tool.
- Once you have placed an end or the body, the part continues to move. You can quit the Flex tool quickly to prevent it to move back.
If you reopen the Flex tool for that part, it will restart to move to finish to settle down.
- Some parts can also connect with their body. For instance, the Hoses Rigid 3mm can connect to clips all along their length. Studio will try not to move the connected bits when you bend the part but depending on the part and how you bend it, the body may disconnect.
Clone & Copy & Mirror work with flexible parts.”