The Clone tool lets you make copies of parts and submodels
Accessing the Clone tool
Click on the Clone icon in the toolbar or use the shortcut C. When activated, the icon is in blue and appears next to the mouse pointer.
Using the Clone tool
If you haven’t selected any parts before entering the Clone tool:
- Select the part(s) you want to clone.
- A copy of what you’ve selected will appear under the mouse pointer.
- Move and place your selection to the desired location.
Learn more about moving and rotating parts.
- Once the selected parts are placed, another copy of the selection appears under the mouse pointer, ready to be placed.
If parts are already selected before entering the Clone tool, accessing the Clone tool will immediately create a copy of the selection (step 2).
You can go back to the Selection tool with the Esc or V keys.
When copying, you can cancel by clicking the right mouse button.
Copy and paste
Parts can also be copied and pasted. The feature can be found in the menu bar by opening.
- Copy: memorizes the selected parts. Standard shortcut: Ctrl C
- Cut: memorizes the selected parts and removes them from the build. Standard shortcut: Ctrl X
- Paste: clone the memorized parts. Copied or cut parts will appear under the mouse pointer ready to be placed. Standard shortcut: Ctrl+V.
Copy and mirror
Designs often include symmetry and Studio can help you with this. To make a mirror copy:
- Select parts
- Click on Copy & Mirror in the status line.
- Parts appear directly to the right of the selected parts, mirroring them in a left-right direction. The original parts are on the left side of the mirror, the new parts are on the right side.
For instance, right wedges will be replaced with left wedges.
- The Clone tool behaves like a simple selection tool if nothing is selected. For more complex selections, select the parts before activating Clone tool.
- You can also hold Alt and make a selection.