Submodels let you divide the build into more manageable smaller builds. Submodels are reusable. If a build appears multiple times in your model, make a submodel and clone it. The copies will be linked. Submodels are handled like parts except that they have their own building steps.
View and edit steps of a submodel
For a submodel used in the current step:
- Select the submodel in the viewport area or in the parts list,
- Click on the View steps button that appears on top of the submodel in the parts list to view or edit the steps.
- To go back to where you were, click on the Return to Parent button.
You can also directly edit any submodel used in the build by clicking in the Model/Submodel dropdown in the top left.
Creating a submodel
- Select parts in the viewport or in the parts list.
- Click on Create a submodel in the toolbar above the parts list
- Select parts
- Right-click on one of the selected parts in the viewport area
Release a submodel, break it down in pieces
- Select a submodel
- Click Release submodel in the toolbar above the parts list or the Release button on a submodel thumbnail in the parts list
or, right-click on a submodel in the viewport area and select Release.
Clones or copies of the same submodel are 'linked’. When you edit one, you edit them all. Instructions for linked submodels only appear once in Page Design when the submodels are placed in the same step.
To link submodels that have the same components but were created separately:
- Select two or more submodels
- Click on Link submodels in the toolbar above the parts list
or right-click on one of the submodels in the model area and use the submodel submenu.
Studio will warn you if the submodels aren't exactly the same. If you force the link, only one version is used and the other versions are replaced which may end up changing your model. If the models are already linked, the button simply won’t appear and the entry in the menu is disabled.
- You can create, release, and link submodels in Building mode.
- Create submodels while building. It will make building and preparing the instructions easier.